March 16, 2010

Decisions, decisions...

 I have a Photo 1 assignment due in April where we have to depict 'The 7 Deadly Sins' and we're permitted to use our manual cameras or digital cameras. I don't have a digital SLR but I really, really, really want one so that I can fulfill the assignment digitally and continue to take my own photos and "print" them without the giant cost of a dark room + supplies. It's not feasible on my 'budget', especially since we're buying a house in the next 6 or so months (I still don't have a time-line on that, thanks Navy..). But anyway, I love photography and I'm good at it. I want to keep doing it. I have a little extra money right now from financial aid, even after buying textbooks for school and I want to spend it toward a digital slr.

I've been looking extensively for a few weeks and I've narrowed it down to this one based on it's price, quality, and reviews:
Canon EOS Rebel XSi















I haven't seen any pictures from this camera up close, but it seems pretty nice. It isn't the newest model but that doesn't bother me so much. I think it's more about the photographer and his or her eye, rather than the fancy camera functions. It's in my budget, even if bought with the 18-55mm lense and the accessories. I already have a camera bag, though it's Kodak. But who cares what brand the bag has on it.

I don't really know much about cameras. I have a friend with the T1i and those pictures look pretty crisp, same brand, different model. So I'm not sure that helps. This camera has good reviews, but I don't know. I don't make big purchases. When I do I have to carefully plan it out and be completely sure I'm not buying it on a whim, but rather with a genuine desire to make use of it and that it's a reliable item. It's frustrating to buy something and have it turn out broken..

If anyone knows anything about cameras, please chime in. I don't want to spend more the price of this camera, which is $559. Edit: I bought this camera today plus a really fancy warranty! But now I am seriously broke.

2 comments:

  1. You bought that camera!? How much did you spend?! Ismael's was so expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent $559 on the camera but bought an extra 3 year warranty, as they break easily so I spent like $649. Too lazy to look at the receipt/do the math. I got it at B&H photo. Ismael has the T1i I think..this is the XSi, which is a little cheaper.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, keep it nice :)