November 12, 2010

15 Favorite Quotes Swap

I recently sent a 15 Favorite Quotes E-mail swap on swap-bot. I thought for sure I had 15 favorite quotes, but around quote 10 I had to start searching. I found some great ones.

Many of these are from the greatest book ever written (no, not the Bible silly) but Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. Others are from movies I've loved and some are from the greats! A lot of these quotes are bittersweet or a little sad, which I find oddly comforting; Like those words tell the truth whereas the sugary sweet ones ignore it. Here are my 15 favorite quotes:

1: "If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary."
- David Sedaris (Barrel Fever)

2: "When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion."
- Abraham Lincoln

3: "Succotash my cocker spaniel, you fudging crevasse hole dipshiitake!"
- "Oskar" from Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

4:"If you step on people in this life, you're going to come back as a cockroach."
-Willie Davis

5:"Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something."
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

6:“I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.”
-Lance (Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

7:"Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. "
-Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


8:"She wants to know if I love her, that's all anyone wants from anyone else, not love itself but the knowledge that love is there, like new batteries in the flashlight in the emergency kit in the hall closet."
-Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

9:"I hope that one day you will have the experience of doing something you do not understand for someone you love."
-Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

10:"
Humans are the only animal that blushes, laughs, has religion, wages war, and kisses with lips. So in a way, the more you kiss with lips, the more human you are. And the more you wage war."
-"Oskar" Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

11: "Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great."
-Roger de Bussy-Rabutin

12. "Do not follow where the path may lead... Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Robert Frost

13. "Life, at best, is bittersweet"
-Jack Kirby

14. "If you are going through hell, keep going."
-Winston Churchill

15. “In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on.
-Robert Frost

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sarah. I'm going through a tough time and I keep trying to remind myself of #15.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, keep it nice :)